Monday, November 9, 2015

November 9

Hey Everyone!!

Its been a good last couple of weeks.  Last Monday it was The Day of the Dead, and everyone, and I mean everyone, went to the cemeteries for that. Basically they all just go hang out and eat food and have a good time hanging out with the dead people.  It made work a little bit tough because people celebrated it from Friday until Ruesday or Wednesday, so it was hard to find people to teach, but it was fun to see so many people in our little town of Banna.  We had a mission conference with Elder Haynie, one of the area presidency here in the Philippines, and that was really good.  I learned a lot from him.  It was so cool to just get to listen to one of the Lord's ordained.

One thing that really impressed on my mind as he talked was the doctrine of first impressions.  He talked about how many times in our lives, we will be walking down the street, or to our next appointment (for missionaries) or to work or school (for normal people) and we will see someone, and think, I should talk to him.  Or I should help her. Or even sometimes, walk over there, cross the street, the possibilities are endless, but basically, a simple impression that comes simply to our minds.  Elder Haynie instructed us that this is the Spirit. That many times it is a simple thought, that we then talk ourselves out of.  We have places to be, they don't need our help, other ways that we convince ourselves that it doesn't need to be done.  I really liked that, because since I've gotten here in the mission, I've realized how bad I am at listening to the spirit.  And I've been trying to change that, but sometimes feel like I don't have much success at really becoming better.  But as he talked I began to reflect on my experience here in the mission so far, and some of the best teaching or finding experiences that I have had have been when I just follow my first impressions.  Its cool how simple it is to follow the spirit, and I think that that is something that could really help all of our lives.

Other that that, not too much exciting has happened in my life. We're teaching some good lessons, loving the work, loving the Filipinos, and loving the 90 degree weather in November!   I love all of you,and have a great week!

Elder Childs

No comments:

Post a Comment