Sunday, February 7, 2016

February 8

Hello!!!

I got your package this week!!!  It was tasty.  I may or may not have opened it early and eaten everything.  I have missed Reeses.  That was my favorite part, but we made a cookies and cream shake and that was pretty good too.  Thanks mama!  I liked all of your cheesy valentines day cards.  They were pretty good.

This week has been a great one!  We were able to meet lots of new people, and help some people get closer to our Savior.  We had one baptism on Saturday and that is always a great experience!!!   It was Charily, she is thirteen and is living with her aunt and uncle here in Laoag.  She has the strongest testimony and such a desire to just do what is right.  Her parents are on the road to getting baptized as well.  Their whole family is really cool!  I love getting to see people start down the path to our savior, and the joy that comes into their life because they do.

So I must admit that I have enjoyed this week a lot more than I enjoyed the last one, and I know exactly why.   This week I just had a better attitude.  In weeks past I have been kind of a downer.  I would approach certain appointments or areas with a bad attitude.  I just figured it was going to go bad, and we weren't going to get to do anything.  And that is what happened.  But this week I really just tried to look at everything and everywhere with a good attitude.  Have faith that I am not the only one working with these investigators, but my Heavenly Father is too.  I learned a lot from that.

The first thing is that when you smile at the world, the world smiles at you.  Things just start to go your way.  It obviously isn't always that way, and probably a lot of the time nothing actually changes.  That leads me into the second thing that I learned.

There is always something that you can do.  There is always a way to help someone out, to make something good out of your day.  When everything in the whole world seems to be working together to stop you from doing the good things, there is always a way to still do good.

One story to illustrate that is this,

One day we were in our far area, Barit, and we were getting punted (not getting to teach) over and over and over again.  At first I just got down, but then I remembered that I was supposed to be having a good attitude, so I just put on a smile and headed to our next appointment.  We were almost to the house of our next investigator, and my companion saw an old lady cleaning up her yard and went to talk to her.  She was super excited to talk to us and invited us in to teach her and her family!!  She was so excited about our message and they were all so grateful for the blessings that God had given them, even if they may have seen small in the eyes of others.

If me and my companions had just gotten down on ourselves and decided that we were just going to get punted, we would have never talked to her, and wouldn't have had such a wonderful opportunity.

Moral of the story is that we should never give up.  There is no point where we can not do something to lift someones day, to help someone out, or to serve the Lord.  In other words,

Have faith

That is all we need in this life, everything else naturally follows as a product of our faith.

I love you all,

Elder Childs


No comments:

Post a Comment