Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 21

Good Morning!

I'm still doing great here in the Philippines, but unfortunately its transfer day.  One of my companions is leaving, so it will just be the two of us now! I'm excited for the next transfer!!
This week though, I've been realizing something about life, and it goes a little bit like this.
"And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil, to act for themselves and not to be acted upon." (2 Nephi 2:26)
Many times in my life, I go into spiritual things, such as scripture study, church attendance, temple attendance, stake conference, general conference, etc, without any purpose.  In essence I am just hoping to be acted upon.  Waiting for some nice feelings to run my way or for someone to say something that will change my life.  I realized this week that although that isn't necessarily bad, it is not our purpose here on earth.  We are not here just to wait around for things to happen to us.  When we go to church, or study our scriptures, we should go with a problem that we want worked out.  A question that we want answered, and then as we do our spiritual things, we will receive our guidance, and we will know what to do.  
That is one thing that I have learned while I've been out here in the mission.  I can't tell you how many times I have come to the end of the week feeling down, or not knowing what to do about a certain investigator, and as I attend church with that problem or investigator in mind, I receive very specific, very personal guidance through what the speakers and teacher say, and through the promptings of the Spirit.
So that leads to my challenge to each of you.  Don't just wait to be acted upon.  That isn't what we were made for.  We were made to be go getters, we were made to find for ourselves what we need in this life.  As we strive to do that, to find our answers, Heavenly Father will bless us with guidance.  He will give us the help that we need.  Our lives will be filled with so much purpose, that is a promise. 
So this next sunday, or the next time you read your scriptures, don't just wait for things to come to you, but give a question to God, and see if he won't give you all the guidance you need.  I promise you that God can answer every one of your questions, and he can help you through every one of your trials.  
I love you all, and have a wonderful week,
Elder Childs

No comments:

Post a Comment