Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January 4

Happy New Year!

We have had a pretty good week here in the Philippines.

My favorite experience this week was when we went to a less active family's house.  We were teaching them and I just felt so guided by the spirit.  I had been praying to really have help in letting the spirit guide me, and that lesson was the answer.  I said a lot of things that I probably would have been too scared to say on my own, and I hope they start doing what they need to because of our lesson.

Our New Year's was pretty good.  We missionaries didn't do much, but the Philippines sure did! Lots of fireworks and food and that sort of stuff.  I have a little story to illustrate how fun New Year's is here in the Philippines. On New Year's Eve we had to be in our apartment at 6:00.  At around 7:00 we got a text from our mission president that he had sent. It said something along the lines of, "I hope you all had a good, productive day today, and are now all safe inside your apartments.  As I have been watching the news I have already seen reports of many injuries due to firecrackers and other fireworks. Happy new Years!"

So fun time in the Philippines right? Haha but it really has been a good week.  The other week I had some time to think while I was scrubbing our kawali.  If you don't know what that is, check out the picture below.  So let me tell you about what I did.

We had ourselves a kawali.  It was really dirty.



So I spent a couple of hours cleaning it with our steel wool.  Scrubbing and scrubbing until I was hot and sweaty, but at the end, it looked like this,


And it felt pretty good.  So while I was scrubbing I had some time to think obviously, and I started thinking about our lives.  I started thinking about how sometimes in life, we get kind of dirty. Sometimes really dirty.  That is, sadly part of life.  We all sin.  Luckily for us though, we have a steel wool for our lives. We have the Atonement.  We have the opportunity to become clean again.  But it won't always be easy. It won't always be quick.  There were times when I wanted to quit scrubbing. I thought it wasn't worth it. But when I got to the end and was able to see the difference, it felt so good, and was all worth it.  Our lives are like the Kawali.  We will need to scrub our lives, and we will need to scrub often.  But the feeling of cleanness is worth it, and will make us happier in the end.  I just want to testify that I know that this is the true Gospel, and this is the way for us to return with Christ.  It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

Answers to Dad's Questions:

What is something you miss from the US?

If we aren't counting people, the temple wins. Hands down.  If we aren't counting spiritual things, pizza.

What is one thing the Philippines has that you wish the US had?

I wish the US had adobo.  And jeepneys.  and rice.  and so many happy people.  and I also think it would be nice if they had street food.

I love you all!

Elder Childs

The District

The Beautiful Philippines!

No comments:

Post a Comment